Section I: Affiliation
A student chapter of the American Correctional Association (ACA) must have at the time of initial admission a minimum of ten (10) members. The chapter must be an officially recognized student organization and meet requirements established by the parent college or university for such organizations.
The dual chapter will serve as a local contact for the student chapter when they are located in a state with an ACA dual membership chapter.
The name of this organization will be the Appalachian Student Chapter of the American Correctional Association (ASCACA).
Section II: Purpose
- The chapter is organized and will be operated for the following purposes:
- To support the common goals of improving the profession of corrections/juvenile justice and enhancing the contributions of chapter members.
- To promote increased knowledge of the corrections/juvenile justice systems.
- To provide a means of communication among persons having an interest in corrections/juvenile justice.
- The chapter will serve students and other interested persons in the college/university community.
- The chapter is chartered by the ACA.
Section III: Membership
Any student in good standing at an accredited college or university will be eligible for membership. Membership will remain in force as long as the member is enrolled in the institution of higher learning and pays required chapter dues.
Members of the student chapter must become members of ACA within thirty (30) days of admission in the student chapter when the chapter is in a non-dual chapter state.
Student chapters may include single campus, multi-campus, or statewide establishments of higher learning.
Section IV: Officers
- The officers of the chapter shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, And Advisor. These officers shall constitute the Executive Committee.
- All officers shall be members of the ACA.
- The Executive Committee must meet the requirements established by the parent college/university.
Section V: Selection of Officers
- The President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be elected by a plurality of votes. They shall take office and serve for one (1) year.
- The student chapter Advisor shall be selected by the Executive Committee immediately following the selection of officers. The institution of higher learning shall confirm the selection of the Advisor.
- Any elected officer may resign at any time with written notice to the President. If a vacancy occurs, the officers may appoint a member to fulfill the duties for the unexpired term. If the President resigns, the Vice-President will fulfill the unexpired term and a member will be appointed to fulfill the unexpired term of the Vice-President.
Section VI: Duties of the Officers
The President shall preside at all meetings of the chapter and the Executive Committee. The President shall appoint all Committees subject to approval of the Executive Committee. All other Executive duties not herein delegated shall be the President's responsibility.
The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President in the President's absence.
The Secretary shall maintain the official record of all chapter and Executive Committee meetings.
The Treasurer shall maintain a complete record of all income and expenses of the chapter and shall pay all bills as authorized by the President and/or the Executive Committee.
The student chapter Advisor will:
- Be an active member of ACA.
- Provide continuity as student leadership changes.
- Promote good student-faculty relationships.
- Maintain standards of the institution of higher learning in all activities of the chapter.
- Exercise financial supervision, if necessary, by promoting prompt payment of bills and overseeing the settlement of all accounts in the event of dissolution of the chapter.
- Represent the chapter interests to the faculty and administration of the institution of higher learning.
- Serve as liaison with the dual chapter, if applicable, and the national organizaiton.
Section VII: Reports
The chapter shall file an annual report with ACA dual chapter, if applicable. The report is due by June 30 of each year and will summarize the chapter's activities, report on by-law changes, and list the officers and advisors selected for the upcoming school year.
Section VIII: Amendments
The By-laws maybe amended by a vote of two-thirds of the members present at a regularly scheduled annual meeting of the chapter, provided the amendment was submitted to the membership in writing at least one (1) month prior to the meeting, and approved by the membership committee of ACA.